Male Iguana on Campus

Male Iguana on Campus
He stopped by the Anatomy Labs for a brief photo-op.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Nicest Oblique Popliteal Ligament Around!

So I know I say this every week but...this week was actually, literally the longest week so far. I have my 2nd major exam on Monday and although I intended to study for the exam after class I had some extracurricular (as in mandatory, scheduled event) to attend every single day this week. These have become the bain of my existence, especially the Friday "problem-based learning" sessions which require research and typed papers each Thursday. The biggest obstacle in med school is lack of time. Sure the material is difficult and you are expected to master concepts in hours rather than days or weeks but all of this would just fine if I actually had the time to do it!
On the plus side, my dissection of the knee joint (capsule) was proclaimed "really good" by our anatomy prof. today and will most likely be used on the next anatomy practical. Sweet! That's one less body that I will have to worry about identifying! By the way the knee joint is freaking awesome! It's a really clean dissection and everything looks mechanically and aesthetically beautiful in there. Also, I finally got to see that famous ACL (anterior cruciate lig.) that all my soccer team pals ruptured at some point throughout the course of my soccer career. The gastronemus muscles are also fun to play with :)
The coolest thing about anatomy lab is that you get to use your hands to "cut" fascia, separate muscles and play around with body parts that most people will never get a chance to see. It's amazing how much damage/dissecting can be done with your hands...it's also very scary that a few quick cuts with a scalpel can disable you. And the scariest part is that I can probably tell you exactly what presentation you will have if you injure any nerve from your neck down to your toes. And I've only been in medical school for 2 months. Scary.
Halloween will be celebrated here by the way or rather on the coast on Monday night and my friend and I are discussing skipping class Tuesday to go island hopping next week. Wednesday is Dominica's independence day so the university will be closed.
Will post more pics when I get a chance.
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment