Male Iguana on Campus

Male Iguana on Campus
He stopped by the Anatomy Labs for a brief photo-op.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oh yea; THIS is why I want to be a physician!

For the past few weeks I have really been wondering why I am here. (And by "here" I don't mean in the existential sense of the word, I mean "in Medical School".) :P
Today I walked to the other side of campus to help run a free clinic in a parking lot outside of the local "Starbucks" (called Rituals). The clinic was run by an organization I recently joined called OLAS (Org for Latin American Students). Of course I would. Hey it's a chance to practicar mi espanol! Anyways, I worked the Glucose-reading station from 9-noon, helped set up etc.
As the patients started coming down I was reminded of Why I love Medicine. I love love love patient-interaction and educating others about healthcare. When I came to Ross I was really bummed because I missed my clinic back in Austin. I missed taking patient histories, doing counseling, education and engaging with the patients. I also missed doing blood-draws and all the other tests. This seems ironic now considering the hectic nature of the low-income clinic and how exhausted I was at the end of each day. At Planned Parenthood we had many patients and only 2 education rooms, this in addition to the patients' anxieties about exams, fear of blood-draws and of course pregancy test results meant I was burnt out by closing time. But I miss my co-workers, nurses, MAs, office clerks as well as the "team mentality" of support and efficiency.
Today I was able to get some of that familiarity back as I engaged with the local men, women and children. I love how people are so laid-back here, and I'm impressed with the level of awareness that they have about their health. It definately competes with the low-income Latino community back in Austin. One man looked guilty as he admitted to me that he used to drink beer but now watches what he eats and drinks. I tried to reinforce the positivity of him no longer drinking and he was very pleased with himself. :) He is a construction worker and his skin was so callused that it took me twice as long to draw blood out.
The clinic today was a wonderful start to this Saturday and I'm really glad that I went out on a limb to meet other students and help out. I hope I get more experience/training this semester!
Next weekend I plan on helping out at the Kids Sports Clinic. I guess I should learn how to interact with kids eventually :)

Thanks for reading!
More later!
"Beach Bash" Friday October 15

Me, Swati and Christian: celebrating passing Block 1 at De Champs bar

Beautiful Dominican Sunset as viewed from my apt window

Portsmouth Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment